John Maloney, P.E.
Since 1982, John Maloney has been committed to creating the most cost-effective, energy-efficient electrical and lighting design solutions for government, commercial, and residential projects. In 1994, Maloney formed JMPE, his own electrical engineering and lighting design business headquartered in Santa Barbara, California. Maloney’s areas of expertise include electrical design of power, lighting, and signal systems; distribution system design, short circuit analysis, coordination studies and Title 24 Lighting Calculations; as well as interior and exterior lighting design for retail stores, offices, and residences.
A native of Connecticut, Maloney graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania in 1982. He was awarded his Master of Science in Systems Management (MSSM) from University of Southern California (USC) two years later. Maloney served four years with the United States Air Force 4392 Civil Engineering Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California where he designed electrical systems in support of the Space Shuttle and Peacekeeper operations. From 1987-94, Maloney was a principal of the Santa Barbara Electrical Design Group.
Maloney is the recipient of numerous awards including:
- 2016 AYSO Area 10W Volunteer of the Year
- 2012 – Local Sports Volunteer of the Month
- 2002 – California State AIA Award of Merit for Energy Savings at the South Coast Watershed Resource Center.
- 2000 – Engineer of the Year for Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties.
- 1995 – American Institute of Architects San Luis Obispo Chapter Award (Palm Street Offices.
- 1995 Applee Award – Honorable Mention (Crossroads Restaurant).
- 1994 Illuminating Engineering Society’s Paul Waterbury Award (Santa Barbara City College’s Parking Structure Lighting).
- Three-time winner of the Southern California Edison Design for Excellence Award (1993–Oxnard Post Office Remodel; 1992–Lost Arrow/Patagonia Office Remodel and 1991–Emilie Ritchen Elementary School Oxnard).
In 2006, John was appointed to the Division of State Architect Advisory Board. Back in 1997, Maloney was named Chairperson of the prestigious State of California Electrical Engineering Technical Advisory Committee. He served on the EETAC for a three year term. His professional memberships include IEEE (Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers-former Section Chair); IESNA (Illuminating Engineering Society of North America-currently serving as Section Chairman) and California Society of Professional Engineers (currently MathCounts chair person). Lightning Protection Institute. John is now in his 18th year as Regional Commissioner for Santa Barbara / Goleta AYSO soccer. Avocations include long-distance running and family-time with his wife and two daughters.